The Advantages of Compressed Natural Gas
1) The Environmentally Clean Advantage
- Compressed natural gas is the cleanest burning fuel operating today. This means less vehicle maintenance and longer engine life.
- CNG vehicles produce the fewest emissions of any motor fuel. Dedicated Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV) have little or no emissions during fuelling. In gasoline vehicles, fuelling emissions account for at least 50% of a vehicle’s total hydrocarbon emissions.
- CNG produces significantly less pollutants than gasoline.
2) The Maintenance Advantage
- Some fleet operators have reduced maintenance costs by as much as 40% by converting their vehicles to CNG.
- Intervals between tune-ups for natural gas vehicles are extended from 30,000 to 50,000 miles.
- Intervals between oil changes for natural gas vehicles are dramatically extended– anywhere from 10,000 to 25,000 additional miles depending on how the vehicle is used.
- Natural gas does not react to metals the way gasoline does, so pipes and mufflers last much longer.
3) The Performance Advantage
- Natural gas gives the same mileage as gasoline in a converted vehicle.
- Dedicated CNG engines are superior in performance to gasoline engines.
- CNG has an octane rating of 130 and has a slight efficiency advantage over gasoline.
- Because CNG is already in a gaseous state, NGVs have superior starting and drivability, even under severe hot and cold weather conditions.
- NGVs experience less knocking and no vapour locking.
4) The CNG Cost Advantage
- Natural gas is cheaper per equivalent gallon than gasoline (an average of 15% to 50% less than gasoline).
5) The Safety Advantage
- Surveys indicate that NGVs are as safe as or safer than those powered by other fuels.